Monday 19 December 2011

Discovery

Like some evil plantation owner I’ve been keeping the present-picking slave labour busy at the Amazon warehouse this week.

Several interesting packages have winged their way to us, been parcelled up, and are now stashed in the back of my wardrobe, ready to give the kids on Christmas morning.

But I cocked up. I left one delivery on my desk by mistake. And while I was on the loo, my daughter spotted it, and had a quick rifle through.

When I walked back into the room, she looked distinctly miffed.

“Mummy, I’ve seen The Parent Trap DVD. It’s in that packet.”

‘Bugger, bugger, bugger!’ I thought to myself. ‘How am I going to get out of this one?’.  This gift, you see, was one from her actual Santa List, not one she’d asked me or any other relatives to buy. 

After ticking her off for going through my post (but really, who could blame her?), I muttered something about Father Christmas asking me to get this present for her.

She looked at me oddly, and trudged upstairs to her room. 

Later she presented me with the card pictured at the top of the page. In case the sentence structure confuses you, I'll rearrange it for you:

Dear Father Christmas, can you not get parent trap DVV
because my mum is going to get it for christmas

Also squashed in on the right is the sentence:

but you can get animal crossing wii game.

And there was me thinking I'd finished all my Christmas shopping.

She was adamant that she needed to send the card to The North Pole immediately, but I managed to persuade her that - as it was dark - it was best I posted it for her.

When I tucked her into bed, I found a pile of her earlier drafts (pictured below).

She takes this Santa stuff seriously.



Video is The Electric Light Orchestra - Don't Bring Me Down (from the album Discovery).



3 comments:

  1. Does your daughter want a new pen-pal? Wish her a Happy Christmas from me. And have a good one yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, RC. Cheers, John.
    I hope both of you have a splendid Christmas.

    ReplyDelete