Tuesday 11 February 2014

Whelming

“I don’t care! I love it!”

A 6ft 2in, built-for-comfort-and-not-for-speed heterosexual man, dancing around the kitchen waving a wooden spoon whilst singing along to Icona Pop, is a sight to behold.

This 5ft 5in, even-more-overly-upholstered heterosexual woman found herself compelled to join in, having also been captured by “the feeling on a summer day when you were gone”.

Our silly dancing ended, and, slightly breathless, we turned to the dining table, to see our daughter looking at us. I’m trying to think about how best to describe her expression; ‘underwhelmed’ doesn’t cover it, because there was no question of her approaching anything remotely resembling a whelm.

Our teenage daughter, who is sometimes so unlike most teenage girls, gave us a pitch perfect teenage look of disdain, and turned her head, to concentrate on her custard. We were reduced to helpless giggles. 

And this is the real story, isn't it? Here were her mum and dad, doing a ridiculous dance to a pop song she loves (the radio edit version, without any shits or bitches, obviously), but she just wasn’t interested, because she has Prader-Willi Syndrome, and food is the be-all and end-all, and she was having her pudding. Duh.


Video is Icona Pop - I Love It. This one has got the shits and bitches in it. I realise this because I've just played a snippet and my daughter has admonished me as she walked past. "Mum, when you are on YouTube, can you please put on the clean version of that song." That's me told.


1 comment:

  1. Gotta love a bit of teenage disdain-makes life seem normal......and can't blame her- custard is amazing ;)

    ReplyDelete