Thursday 2 February 2012

Enough

I'm a scrounger who relies on benefits.

Funny that, because I believe in work. I haven't had a full-time job since my daughter was born in 1998, but I have scraped a living instead with various part-time and freelance posts.

So when I say I rely on benefits, I'm not talking for big stuff like housing. Oh no, I'm not up to that level of scrounging. Mine's just small scale.

The few small benefits our family have been able to claim because of my daughter's disability go towards hospital parking, heating, and other luxuries, like food. It means that my part-time work - and my husband's less than astronomical full-time wage - have been enough to live on. And it means that I've been able to be here when my daughter needs me. Which she is going to continue to do, the selfish layabout.

So why am I mentioning this?

Yesterday, MPs rejected a series of proposed House of Lords amendments to the government’s welfare reform bill.

One of the pernicious reversals they voted through was to halve the ‘disabled child element’ of Child Tax Credits.

This is actually a good thing, David Cameron has told us. What it means is that the help can now be focused on those most in need. This, presumably, refers to the whopping £1.23 extra that children with ‘severe’ disabilities will get.

As for the thousands of children whose disabilities aren’t as ‘severe’, their families will see their £52.21 a week 'hand-out' reduced to £25.95.

Oh well, never mind. Relying on benefits, is, apparently, a 'lifestyle choice'. Our daughter shouldn’t have made the choice to be born with Prader-Willi Syndrome.

It wasn’t a bad choice, because it means she can still be a small-scale scrounger, incurring the stoked-up ire of 'hard-working families'.

But she did make one mistake. She chose to be disabled - just not disabled enough.

Video is Voice Of The Beehive - What You Have Is Enough

8 comments:

  1. It's the likes of you that have brought this country to its knees.

    Yours sincerely,

    XXX Fred Goodwin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn you, now I'm going to have to buy a new computer keyboard, because I've just spat my coffee over it, laughing.
      PS Good to see you're already dropping the 'Sir'.

      Delete
    2. Well, not just you, obviously.

      You and The Immigrants and The Gays.

      Fred

      Delete
    3. You forgot The Terminally Ill, too. Workshy malingerers. ;-)

      Delete
  2. When you say you're going to have to buy a new computer obviously you mean WE THE TAX PAYER are going to have to buy you one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look, you've already bought my 50 inch plasma telly for me. It's only fair that I also get a new computer so I can fill in my fraudulent benefit claims without having to ever get off my fat arse and leave the house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Parasite (Mrs)

    Can I borrow a couple of quid? I'm just a bit skint at the moment. Asked my mate Dave but he's a right tight bastard,

    Peace and love

    George Osbourne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice post Drakey

    Funny you should post a VOB track up as we were talking about them on Twitter last night and I realised I had the albums on vinyl but not CD. I quick trip to Amazon and I picked em both up for 69p. So this recession isn't ALL bad

    Loveyoubye!

    DFB

    ReplyDelete